Obituary of Mr. C. Edwin DrewC. Edwin Drew, 6 May 1931-1 June 2018.
Beloved husband of Ellen Orr for 59 years, father to Mark, Laura (Mike) and Wayne (Trisha), grandfather to Andrew, Danielle, Katelyn, Coulton, Tyler and Lilah.
In passing Ed now joins his father, Charles, mother Anne and brother Alan.
Ed grew up in Blackpool and Manchester, England, before serving in the Royal Navy in 1949. After his service he immigrated to Canada where he found work at Avro Aircraft in Malton. It was there he met Ellen Orr Patterson and their life together began.
Ed went on to have a successful career in insurance sales, spending over 35 years as a sales agent with Allstate Insurance.
Shortly after coming to Canada, Ed joined Georgina Lodge #343, A.F. & A.M. where he embarked on a decorated Masonic career of over 63 years. Serving as Master of Georgina Lodge in 1973, District Deputy Grand Master of Toronto District Three in 1976, and in one of his proudest achievements, serving as the Grand Master of Canada, in the Province of Ontario from 1993 to 1995. Ed went on to serve as Custodian of the Work and leading several Lodges of Instruction.
Ed will be deeply missed by family, friends and brethren of the craft, his legacy will live on in our hearts, memories and especially in his children, grandchildren and great grandchild.
Barbara and myself along with Michael Yeung came to represent West Gate by donating the gift of life.
History of Masonic Blood Donations Masons first became involved with blood donor organizations after the First World War when transfusions became common. Masons began to register their blood type and donate blood by transfusion to their brethren and families. This involvement expanded when in 1941 brother William Hoyle of Electric Lodge # 495 in Hamilton, was the chair of a small committee to promote giving blood by his masters and wardens association and obtained a group of 105 masons, all checked and placed in their proper categories by the Canadian red cross blood donor service to be ready to answer the call for transfusions when their blood type was required.
In 1947 the Canadian Red Cross began storing blood and in 1958, at the 103 rd annual communication of grand lodge, the late most worshipful brother Harry I. Martin formed a special committee called the blood donor committee to assist agencies working in this field and to keep identified with their wonderful works.
In 1960 the DDGMs were asked to appoint district chairmen of the blood donors committee to facilitate local publicity. Currently these committees are responsible to encourage the brethren and their families to give blood and to encourage the lodges of their respective districts to sponsor clinics in order to assist the Canadian blood donor services. In addition, the donating of plasma and platelets are encouraged, as well as registering your bone marrow for bone marrow transplants. An annual report covering the period from the 1 st of April to the 31 st of March is required, which highlights the activity of their respective districts and provides the amount of donations given by each of their lodges.